It’s 2018 and OMG I feel so old! Two thousand and freaking eighteen! That’s such a far stretch from 1991 which is my birth year! Haha! Anyway, I will not go around contemplating over my 26 years of existence here (okay, huge age give away there!), because I’m actually here to tell y’all guys about the challenges I will be joining this year! If you can’t tell already, I’m in the hundredth level of stoked!!! This is one of my favorite posts to do because I JUST LOOOVE READING CHALLENGES! I admit I’m not particularly good at them (see 2017 Reading Challenges Wrap Up!), but I still love to join them not just because they’re fun, but they really push me to read more all throughout the year. Long intro aside, let’s jump right into the challenges I’m joining! 🙂
This year I pledged to read 50 books, which I think is the most practical and do-able number for me. I tried setting it in a much higher number last year but I found myself really stressed and pressured about how I would be able to read that amount of books! The downside is, I wasn’t able to enjoy some of my reading at all! That is why I’m lowering it to 50 this year, which is equivalent to at least one book per week. 🙂 This should be a good number to hit this time.
I joined the Beat the Backlist last year and miserably failed at it! The goal is to read from all the titles that have been in your shelf prior to the current year (and believe me, I have SO SO SO MANY!!). For someone whose TBR is so out of control, beat the backlist is definitely THE reading challenge I want myself in!
Here’s a list of the books in my TBR shelf:
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray
- My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
- The Careful Undressing of Love by Corey Ann Haydu
- Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown
- Morning Star by Pierce Brown
- Golden Son by Pierce Brown
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
- The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
- Shatter Me by Tehereh mafi
- Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
- Dumplin’ by Monica Murphy
- Rogue by Danielle Steel
- The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
- Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
- Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
- The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
- The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
- Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
- Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
- My Lady Jane by a lot of authors!
- The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
Phew! 32 physical books (and without all the unreda e-books in my Kindle!). That was handful! Lord bless me!
The New Adult Reading Challenge is another one that I joined in last year and had a great time doing! 🙂 The following are the categories and NA books to be pledged for each of them:
I’ll try my best to be an NA Intermediate but I know it’s going to be such a stretch because of some issues I’m having with the genre lately. I love Na, don’t get me wrong, but I just need to be in my NA zone again!! Plus this bingo! I can’t wait!!
Tis is new challenge I’m joining this year and I can’t believe I just discovered it now! The Author Love Challenge is simple: you pick an author that you love, and you pledge an x number of books by them that you will read this year – or better yet, you pledge all their released books – now that’s some way to show an author your love!
As for me, I am picking the great Cassandra Clare ❤ I have only read her The Infernal Devices series and I am pledging to finally get into (and hopefully finish!) The Mortal Instruments. 🙂 My fingers are infinitely crossed for this one!
Another author I am picking is Sarah J. Maas! I have only read The Throne of Glass and The Crown of Midnight and I loved both of them! Now it’s time to pick out the rest of her genius!
Another first in the list! The goal is pretty simple: to read all about our swoon worthy bad boys from the romance genre. The categories are:
Level One – 5-9 books – Capturing the Bad Boy
Level Two – 10-15 books – Engaged to the Bad Boy
Level Three – 15 books or more – Taking the Bad Boy to the Alter
I’m looking at Level One (5-9 books) because I admit I don’t have so many bad boy romances in my TBR. 🙂
And finally, the challenge that I am most excited about: 2018 Finishing the Series Reading Challenge! 🙂 I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE! I swear! This challenge is focused on finally finishing those series that you’ve started but not yet completed. Simple.
I have quite a number of series that I’ve started and been meaning to finish and I guess this challenge is one of the best ways to push me! This year, I pledge to get into the following:
- The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas
- The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare
- The Mara Dyer Series by Michelle Hodkin
- The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
- The Red Rising Series by Pierce Brown
- To All the Boys Series by Jenny Han
- The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
- Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling Re-read
Other series haven’t started but I’m meaning
WISHING to read this year as well:
- Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness
- The Winner’s Curse Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- A Court of Thorns and Roses Series by Sarah J. Maas
- Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead
- Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi
Phew! That’s a lot of reading to be done this year. I am honestly quite overwhelmed here, but I’m too excited so let’s just focus all our energy on the excitement! 🙂
I can’t wait to hear about the challenges that YOU are entering this year! Let’s talk in the comments below! Happy 2018!!!